|Facts About Autism
- Autism now affects 1 in 59 kids, 1 in 38 boys. The numbers are actually higher in the state of Maryland.
- Autism prevalence figures are growing
- Autism is one of the fastest-growing developmental disorders in the U.S.
- Autism costs a family $60,000 a year on average
- Boys are nearly five times more likely than girls to have autism
- There is no medical detection or cure for autism
- The degree of autism varies from mild to severe.
- The cause of autism is unknown.
- Only a small percentage of people with autism are savants, showing genius level abilities in a particular area.
- Autism receives as little as 5% of the research funding that less common diseases receive.
- Individuals with autism are often frustrated for many reasons, including knowing what they want to say but lacking the ability to convey their message